From 19th July 2019, Microsoft will no longer be providing (mainstream or extended) support for both SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2. This means that they’ll not be providing any patches; the server will, therefore, be exposed to cyber threats, and they’ll not be offering any support if you run into problem or issues.
If you currently operate any older version of SQL Server, then Microsoft will have already ended support leaving your business already exposed.
By not migrating to a newer version of SQL Server, you’ll be leaving your business exposed to some serious issues;
• Higher maintenance costs – staying with SQL Server 2008 or an older version it could result in more costs in the long term as you’ll need to look for alternative, and potentially more expensive, security solution and costly support if issues were to occur.
• Compliance concerns – by staying with an unsupported service, there’ll undoubtedly be breaches in regulatory practices which could result in costly fines and penalties.
• No security updates – this will leave your data and infrastructure at risk to third-party cyber intruders and attacks on to your business.
By migrating your SQL Server workloads to Azure, you’ll;
• Continually receive security patch updates and threat monitoring
• Quickly scale your infrastructure up or down
• Provision quicker
• Meet compliance and regulation needs
• Access to Azure BI, Azure machine learning and other services to leverage your data in new ways.
• If migrating from SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2, Microsoft are offering extended security support for 3 years if you start to migrate before July 2019 but are not able to complete. All at no extra cost!
By upgrading your on-premise infrastructure to SQL Server 2017 you’ll;
• Receive improved security with its extensive new layers of security and patching
• Faster and improved access to workloads.
• Quick restore workloads through disaster recovery with and hybrid approach with Azure Virtual Machine.
• Have access to PowerBI and built-in analytics.
We have a big thing for digital transformation. The fact is that, it’s the way forward for every business out there. A migration of workloads is the first, and one of the most crucial steps, in any digital transformation and that’s why we take it seriously.
We understand that every business is unique and has its own challenges, that’s why make sure we review, plan and deploy the right strategy for and with you. Our extensive experience in migrations, to both the cloud and physical estates, means you’ll be safe in the knowledge that your migration will be seamless as possible thus minimising any interruption to your business. During and post-migration, you’ll have continued access to our 24x7 support teams and we’ll continue to proactively monitor your new infrastructure all designed to make sure that your business remains operating.
We are also in the envious position of having strong hardware, and infrastructure skills, aligned with Azure knowledge and experience. As an added bonus, our Software Development division has extensive SQL Server skills including SSIS, Analysis Services, and Visual Studio SQL Development.